Rag and Bone struggle along, making ends meet in a world drowning in rubbish. They dance, delight and despair in their scrap world, finding treasures and telling stories to while away the time.
But are they alone? What are those strange noises? Did that piece of junk move?
Bone Yard Tales mixes physical theatre, puppetry, song, dialogue, live music, percussion and mechanised imagery in a 40 minute outdoor show for up to 500 people. It is for all ages, though there are some scary moments.
Boneyardtales from Rag and Bone on Vimeo.
In the Boneyard live a troupe of scavengers and scrap poets, who forage their surroundings for junk and threads of song and story. The ‘Bone Yard Tales’ might be a series of myths telling of the destructive power, fecundity and addictive nature of waste but are probably a few tales spun out by Rag to distract Bone from bashing bits of metal all the time.
Bone Yard Tales is a playground for the imagination and an exploration of the creative potentials of waste and scrap.
Commissioned by Without Walls Consortium and Ageas Salisbury International Arts Festival, in 2013, with support from Arts Council England
‘Listen to the eloquent theatrics of the Bone Yard Tales’ – Lemn Sissay
‘A bizarre but strangely captivating poetry and junk performance piece’ – Jake Orr, A Younger Theatre
‘…like modern Mad Max steampunk Wombles…Totally bonkers and very British,the kids around seemed to love it.’ – Richard Shashamane
Bone Yard Tales is now available to book, we can offer workshops in the creation of performance props alongside the show.
- Written and Directed by Damien Wright
- From an idea by Tim Hill and Dave Young
- Additional words/lyrics by Helen Gregg, Tim Hill and Ben Phillips
- Music by Tim Hill
- Design by Dave Young
- Costume by Sarah Dicks and Jane Gaffikin
- Build/make by Tarn Aitken, Martin West and Dave Young
- Performers: Helen Gregg and Ben Phillips
- Musicians: Tim Hill (saxophone,atmospheres and vocals), Rob Arcari and Ollie Tunmer (drums/percussion)
- The Bone Yard Grubbers: Tarn Aitken, Martin West and Dave Young
- Sound & PA: Gaz Lewis/King Sound Reinforcement